Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Dedication (of Sorts) to Ted Bigelow

Ted--Pastor-Teacher--Grace Church, Hartford, CT

Setting up this post, I need to start with the famous words of Steve Cooley, a wonderful Associate Pastor at BBC. He described Ted as "crazy smart" and that about sums it up.

I recognize that what I'm about to type, he (Ted) has publicly denounced as any source of pride or achievement during his lifetime. He has acted as Paul did and publicly declared this in a Philippians 3:8 (skubala) sort of way. I have heard it with my own imperfect ears. So why do this? Because I believe it's informative and Christ-exalting.

There are a great many words that I could tell of my gratitude and praise to God for my Pastor. Many more words could tell of my personal experiences while being a part of his flock here in Connecticut. But as in all things, (and I'm sure much to the relief of my reader audience) I always have to bottom line it. I need to start at a base line and work my way up. I like to analyze things, situations, causes and effects, etc. The words and actions of people are interesting to me, with so many twists and turns in regards to their motivations, heart, and the like. Ted is no different.

Admittedly, I don't know him very well. Oh sure, we've been to each other's houses when our families have shared a meal together; we've shared a few jokes, but overall, my relationship with him is at an appropriate and opposite gender, non-married distance. So I really don't know him that well. He continues to surprise me at many turns.

But one way he has not changed or at least how I have come to the conclusion of how to bottom line his life from my perspective, is his deep, deep love for all things sound through the filter of biblical revelation--sound truth, sound doctrine, sound teaching and sound and thorough study. I've tried to think of ways to describe it. I've tried to write about it and practice, in small measure, the same type of studying so I could walk on a thorough, practiced, diligent and desire-filled path, but I need agonize no more. Thankfully, in a current book I'm reading, R.C. Sproul has done that for me and has bottom lined it in a way that I just couldn't. If my time was limited and I had to sum up my Pastor--here is how I would do it:

From R.C. Sproul's book Knowing Scripture:

The Role of the Teacher: [In regards to small groups and home bible studies] Pooling of knowledge is edifying to the church; pooling of ignorance is destructive and can manifest the problem of the blind leading the blind.

More often we face the problem of people calling themselves to the role of teacher who are simply not qualified to teach. A good teacher must have sound knowledge and the necessary skills to unravel difficult portions of Scripture. Here the need for mastery of language, history and theology are of critical importance. We need teachers who have sound knowledge and whose hearts are not set against the Word of God.

To sound teaching and diligent study God gives blessing.

Thank you, God, for giving Ted a mastery of language, history and theology. Thank you for giving Ted a heart that is not set against your holy scriptures. Thank you, God, for giving Ted his incredible and rare gift of intelligence; his enduring discipline and heart toward study throughout many years in his life; his keen insight into the text; and the masterful way in which he delivers.

And thank you, Ted, for earning your doctorate and continuing to study and love the word of God with the engine of a first-year seminary student, but with the mind of a meticulous, seasoned scholar. Your (and your family's) sacrifice has not gone unnoticed, nor un-thanked in my prayers.

Through God's immeasurable grace, He has enabled you to provide Grace Church with an indescribable blessing.

No comments: