Friday, November 7, 2008

2 Chronicles 25:2--A Loyal Heart

In the morning, I have been reading through the Old Testament. It's been interesting, challenging and illuminating in a way that I never appreciated growing up in church. There are a variety of reasons for that, but mostly because I'm reading through a sovereign lens rather than a "free will" lens.

For the most part, the Old Testament has been quite a roller coaster ride for me. At times it makes me so perplexed, I want to beat my head against the wall; at times it brings me such pain because I see so much of myself as an Israelite; and sometimes, (confession mode) I laugh because some of it is just downright guttural to me in the way that God describes situations and some of the situations that happen (see just about any passages on dung.)

But this morning, there was no laughter. This morning II Chronicles 25:2 struck my heart and convicted my soul to it's very core. Here's the passage:

And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, but not with a loyal heart.

The context is concerning King Amaziah's life. You can read for yourself in II Chronicles. This passage is fairly clear and while I realize that exegeting the passage would bring a much deeper, non-subjectivism meaning... I don't think I'm far off from the practical application of this verse.

How much do I do that is right in the sight of God without having a loyal heart? Ahhh! Isn't that what the bible teaches over and over? The heart over the action. The heart always trumping the action. Why? Because counterfeiting is an ageless sin in the church. Why do so many people leave? Over their distaste of "these people" mentioned Mark 7:6--hypocrisy--not a good reason, but certainly a popular excuse.

Doing what is right in the sight of God is good and should be a practical goal in our lives, but if we are more concerned about actions than the heart--then we are hypocrites-in-training. It always starts with the heart.

Let's bring it closer to home. How many times have I cleaned my home without a loyal heart? How many times have I served at church without a loyal heart? How many times have I submitted to my husband without a loyal heart? And the list goes on and on.

Actions are so easily counterfeited and certainly the most preached on in wide evangelical arenas, because it is the most evident and easiest to monitor. It is most prevalent in the fundamental and legalistic circles. Mark 7:7, "...but in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men" is how this circle accomplishes such monitoring. They teach their traditions as doctrines of scripture. But plain and simple, traditions are not doctrines. Doctrines are doctrines. And where do we get them--in the scripture?

I've come to appreciate a church filled with non-churched people. While I love and am so thankful for my church background, I come at a huge disadvantage growing up in my childhood church. The church I now attend as an adult, Grace Church, (and I rarely mention my church name because I don't want people to ever believe that the bible is founded on Grace Church and not the other way around--meaning the bible is the ultimate authority and not Grace Church) contains a majority of mature believers that were saved as adults, not at an early age and certainly not growing up in church. They are at a huge advantage as they do not have unhealthy doctrine and precepts, taught as doctrines of holy scripture. Many are unhindered to learn what the bible says and they do it. They are godly, reverent, imperfect New Testament Christians. And then there's clumsy, awkward me. I have to relearn so much because of the tradition background, that I tend to be behind the eight ball in just about every practical application in the church. (I am thankful that it doesn't apply to home as much because of the wonderful example my dear Christian mother was and is to this day.) But I digress.

The point of all of this is loyalty. So what in the world do I do with II Chronicles 25:2? I have prayed that I will continually refocus my Luke 10:27 desire to be given by my Lord, a loyal heart in all things. Yes! In a Colossians 3:17 way (I know, I know--I just dogged this verse in a Book Nook post.) But I do pray that a loyal heart will proceed every thought, action and deed in each breath I take. And loyalty not just to my own whims and musings that I find and agree with at the time. But a loyalty to the precious and timeless God and His truths as found in the bible...nothing more and nothing less. The God of the bible who always calls me to the conviction of the heart first, and then the conviction of the action.

Lord, may whatever I do that is right in your eyes, proceed with the right attitude and above all--a loyal heart.

No comments: